Sunday 14 December 2014

Sitex 2014: Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard

I do a lot of typing on the keyboard, in the course of my work. Because of that, I would get repetitive stress injury (RSI) regularly. According to wikipedia, RSI is 'injury to the musculoskeletal and nervous systems that may be caused by repetitive tasks, forceful exertions, vibrations, mechanical compression, or sustained or awkward positions.'

In my case, the RSI I would get is in the shoulder area and it is quite painful. It has even affected my nighttime sleep. That is the reason I bought the Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard. It is selling at $135 at Sitex 2014. Actual price is $159. And it comes with a nice freebie, a Nakamichi My Mini Plus which costs $49 at Sitex.

Here are the unboxing photos:



Box Front



Ergonomist Approved? Good enough for me.


The keyboard comes in 3 parts: the main keyboard, the number
keypad and mouse.



Box Back: Its features.



Additional features.


All three items uses 2 x AA batteries each. Batteries provided.




The keyboard looks quite cool in black.



With the separate number keyboard and mouse.



The riser that goes under the keyboard. It raises the keyboard
for a straight natural wrist position.




Comparing the MS Keyboard with my old one.




There is a nice leatherette wrist rest at the bottom of the keyboard.



View from under the keyboard



On my office table. The keyboard has a nice curve along it.
The mouse is slightly heavy compared to other mice that I have used.
The reason is because, you are not suppose to lift it up but rather,
glide it along.



Lethal combo.




The front of the keyboard.



I have used the Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro in the late nineties (pictured below). The keys were a bit noisy but gave a solid feel. In terms of ergonomic design, it has not progressed much from then. Even new black Sculpt keyboard still retains its basic design.



No comments:

Post a Comment