Tuesday 24 April 2012

Ikea Orgel Table Lamp

The wife bought this Ikea Orgel lamp about 3-4 years ago as a bedside lamp. Its selling factor was its handmade shade. In my opinion, it is also what made it a terrible lamp. 

Let me digress. I have a love-hate relationship with Ikea products. I was told there are only 2 type of Ikea products i.e. the damn expensive good quality ones and the lousy fit for the garbage bin stuff. When I buy things, I expect them to last. At least give me some good mileage. But Ikea items have been quite disappointing. I remember I bought a soap-dish from Ikea. The dish was made from a sturdy wire mesh material, enclosed in plastic. After several weeks, the dish began to rust!!!! I am not sure what kind of soap they used in Sweden but I am sure that soap is used with water in the rest of the world. In the end, the dish rusted through and we had to throw the dish away. What a disappointment.

Coming back to this Orgel lamp. After 3-4 years of dormant usage, the lampshade became limped. I do not know how a lampshade can turn that way.

































The lampshade is held by 2 supporting rod at the sides. It seems the 2 rods just gave way. What a fantastic product.
































I wanted to throw it away but it is such a waste. The lighting still works, it is just the damn lampshade. I kept it for quite sometime, until my next visit to Ikea on the Good Friday weekend.

I wanted to see if I can get a replacement lampshade and I came across this: Skimra Shade. At Ikea, it seems to be fit into the Orgel lamp. And at SGD9.00, why not. So we bought it.














There is a detachable fitting that can be used with small or big bulbs.














Removed the packaging and tried it in.















Thank goodness it fits.

































And it gives a very nice glow.


















Ikea, you have redeemed yourself.


Please view our other Ikea related items and project on this blog.

1) Ikea Ljusa Hang Powered Flashlight here. No more batteries.

2) Ikea Sansad Table here. How to install.


3) Ikea Samtid Lamp here. Replacement of lampshade.


4) Ikea Stuva Wordrobe for the kids, here.




No comments:

Post a Comment